This document sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read it carefully. For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act) the data controller is James Galt & Company Limited, whose registered office is at Sovereign House, Stockport Road, Cheadle, Cheshire, SK8 2EA.
We only use the information we collect about you carefully, lawfully and in accordance with the Act.
Information we may collect from you:
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- If you have shopped with us, your name, address, telephone number, email address, credit card details, delivery address(es) for your orders and the password information associated with your account, as well as details of your product selections.
- If you have requested a catalogue, entered a competition or completed feedback, your name, address, telephone number and email address.
- If you have asked to receive our email newsletters, your name, address, telephone number and email address only.
- Where you are on the internet (e.g. the URL you came from and the way in which you navigate the site, and the resources that you access.)
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
How we use the information:
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- For operational purposes; for example processing your order, dealing with queries, tracking deliveries, reviewing past purchases.
- To tailor our product range and marketing information (e.g. promotions and special offers) to your requirements.
- To improve your customer experience.
- Any successor to James Galt may use your information on the same basis.
- To keep you up to date with James Galt, for example by mailing new catalogues and sending you emails as appropriate.
- In the case of calls and emails, for the purposes of quality control and training.
If you enter a competition with James Galt, we may pass on your name, address and email to the promotional partner. Our specific terms and conditions in relation to each competition will set out further details of this.
We may also use your data, or permit selected third parties to use your data, to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you and we or they may contact you about these by post or telephone.
If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale to you.
If you are a new customer, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this.
If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data (the order form or registration form).
Disclosure of your information:
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 736 of the UK Companies Act 1985.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If James Galt or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Website Terms and Conditions and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of James Galt, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data.
You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at email@example.com. Similarly, if you wish to unsubscribe from our email newletters and other updates, please
email firstname.lastname@example.org with unsubscribe in the subject field or visit www.galttoys.com, log in to your account and change your preferences.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates.
If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type and for system administration. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive. They help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service.
They enable us:
- To estimate our audience size and usage pattern.
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests.
- To speed up your searches.
- To recognise you when you return to our site.