We like to read lots of blogs each week to see what activities and crafts you all do with your little ones, and this week we noticed a few bottle boats online! This inspired us to build our own boat – and we are giving away a Wooden Sailing Boat kit at the end of this blog post!
It’s such a simple idea but brings so much joy to the young faces to see something that started off as an empty bottle in the recycling transformed into a magnificent boat/raft for them to place on the pond or in the bath.
A great tutorial can be found at PBS.org - they’ve even created the video below!
If you really want to impress your friends with a boat design, we have a Wooden Sailing Boat kit where you can build and paint your very own sailboat. We had lots of fun making our own this week, with a walkthrough of the process below!
1. The kit contains all the materials you need, from the wooden hull through to the paint, brush and varnish.
2. You can create any pattern you want using the paint provided. We decided to recreate the design on the box so started by painting the bottom green.
3. Once the hull has a coat of paint all over it, place to one side and allow it to dry whilst you paint the sails.
4. Paint your chosen pattern on the sails. For straight lines you can use masking tape.
5. When the sails are painted and your boat hull is dry, it’s time to decorate! The kit comes with lots of stickers for you to place over the boat. Then you paint a layer of gloss varnish to seal the boat and make it ready for the water.
6. When the gloss has dried you can then assemble the boat! Slide the mast through the sleeve in the mainsail and insert the wooden rods to make the tiller and bowsprit.
7. It’s time to set sail!
Want to win your own Wooden Sailing Boat kit? Enter below: